Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Why do I believe?


I have believed in God since I was very little, but when I reached "the age of reason" I started researching to make sure that I was going in the right direction. The more I have researched the issue, the stronger my faith has become. I hear many people say that faith means belief in something despite a lack of evidence, but the bible says that faith is evidence of something that is not seen. I have not personally seen God, but I've seen evidence of his existance. In the same way that I have never seen France, but based on photos, friends who have been, and historical documents I have read I can say with confidence that there is a country in Europe called France. I take France on faith. You may use a different definition of faith in your daily life, but when I use the word talking or writing this is what I am refering to. I, therefore, do not believe in "blind faith" or "a leap of faith" such statements make it sound like a Christian must defy evidence and keep him or herself ignorant in order to be a Christian. For the next few entries I will devote my time to providing various pieces of evidence I have that strengthen my faith.
I hope such a list will help strengthen my brothers and sisters, and provide evidence for people who are on the fence or outright skeptical about Christianity. Since I know most people do not enjoy reading as much as I do I will try to make these short examples sticking with one subject at a time, but for those who are interested I will provide links to great written works that will go more in depth on the subjects I will discuss.
further reading:
C.S. Lewis's Mere Christianity
Josh and Sean McDowell's More than a Carpenter
Lee Strobel's The Case for Christ (also availible in movie form)
I hope others will find this information useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment